Sensitive Skin & Allergies

CAN I USE OXY® IF I HAVE SENSITIVE SKIN?

We actually make a product specially formulated for people with your type of skin. Try OXY® Maximum Action Rapid Treatment Sensitive Skin Face Wash, which contains less benzoyl peroxide to minimize irritation. It’s also a good idea to start with one application a day, and then increase up to three times a day if needed.

HOW DO I KNOW IF I CAN USE ACNE TREATMENTS?

If you’ve never used an acne treatment with benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid before, we recommend that you test a small, affected area of your skin first and watch it for three days. If you have an allergic reaction (see below), make sure you don’t use the product again. However, if you don’t have any allergic symptoms, you can go ahead and continue using it. Just be sure and follow the instructions on the label.

CAN BENZOYL PEROXIDE OR SALICYLIC ACID CAUSE AN ALLERGIC REACTION?

Yes, in rare instances, serious cases of allergic reactions or severe irritation as a result of using benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid acne treatments have been reported. But the number of these reports is very low compared to the millions of people who have safely been using and benefiting from these treatments for decades.

In some cases, benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid can cause minor temporary redness, irritation, dryness, burning, peeling, or swelling. If any of these reactions occur, please follow the labeled directions and reduce usage to only once a day or every other day. These types of reactions are not considered serious and often can be minimized simply by using the products less often.

WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF A SEVERE ALLERGIC REACTION?

Symptoms can include breathing problems, lightheadedness, and swelling of the face, eyes, and lips, as well as tightening of the throat. These symptoms are not the same as more common—though still infrequent—milder reactions, such as redness, burning, dryness, itching, peeling, or slight swelling.

WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I HAVE A SERIOUS ALLERGIC REACTION?

Make sure you seek medical attention right away. Once you’ve received treatment, please contact our Consumer Affairs Department at 1-877-636-2677 and tell us about your reaction.